What is Christian Literacy?


Literacy
refers to the ability to use a language - to know what words means, to be able to use grammar, sentence structure, to be able to converse in that language is to be literate.

Religious literacy
means having the ability to understand and speak about our faith intelligently. It’s the ability to communicate the basic tenets of our religion.

I'm very grateful to B.U. Professor Stephen Prothero for his excellent book, "Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know and Doesn't." This book, along with my desire to teach the faith, served as the inspiration for this effort.

Friday, July 13, 2012

The Ethics of Christ


One aspect of Christianity that we have to come to grips with is this: the ethics of Christ are not normal. They are often countercultural and sometimes even against common sense. But the gospel writers faithfully recorded his most challenging
teachings . . . . for us.

For instance . . .

But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also; and if anyone wants to sue you and take your coat, give your cloak as well; and if anyone forces you to go one mile, go also the second mile. Give to everyone who begs from you, and do not refuse anyone who wants to borrow from you.
- Matthew 5:39-42

You have heard that it was said, "You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy." But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.
- Matthew 5:43-44

You have heard that it was said, "You shall not commit adultery." But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
- Matthew 5:27-28

Then Peter came and said to him, "Lord, if another member of the church sins against me, how often should I forgive? As many as seven times?" Jesus said to him, "Not seven times, but, I tell you, seventy-seven times."

- Matthew 18:21-23

Here's a thought: Being a Christian is really, really hard. The sooner we realize this, the better.

Prayer: Gracious and Loving Savior, help me to realize the high calling of your ways. Forgive my failures and stretch me into being the kind of disciple you're calling me to be. I can only do these things with your help. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment