What is Christian Literacy?


Literacy
refers to the ability to use a language - to know what words means, to be able to use grammar, sentence structure, to be able to converse in that language is to be literate.

Religious literacy
means having the ability to understand and speak about our faith intelligently. It’s the ability to communicate the basic tenets of our religion.

I'm very grateful to B.U. Professor Stephen Prothero for his excellent book, "Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know and Doesn't." This book, along with my desire to teach the faith, served as the inspiration for this effort.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

The "E" Word

Now here’s a scary topic - Evangelism.

How do we as modern, mainline, polite, accepting, tolerant Christians do evangelism? The answer . . . . . very carefully. Let me make two suggestions:

1. We don’t impose our faith.
We expose our faith.

Obviously we don’t ever want to force our religion on anyone. Instead we reveal our faith to others by speaking naturally about our faith.

“I got through it with a lot of support and a lot of prayer.”
“My church is putting on a great musical next weekend.”
“My church is a fun place to be and it helps me spiritually."
“I will keep you in my prayers. God bless you."
"I love my church. I feel close to God there.”
"I served at Cor Unum last night. It was an amazing experience. Want to join me next time?"


Romans 1:16 says, “I am not afraid of the gospel.” Don’t be afraid to let others know you’re a practicing Christian and that your faith is important to you.

2. We believe in Invitational Evangelism.
We simply invite people to faith, to church, to discipleship. At my first church there was a man named Bob who was responsible for at least 5 people joining the church. He did so with one simple sentence, “Hey, Joe, I’d like to invite you to my church this Sunday?” And it worked. Wasn’t this Jesus’ method as well? “Come, follow me.”

Question: Who do I know who just might come to church if I pop the question?

Prayer: God, help me to let the light of my faith shine to others, and give me the courage to invite others to come along on this journey of faith. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment