What is Christian Literacy?


Literacy
refers to the ability to use a language - to know what words means, to be able to use grammar, sentence structure, to be able to converse in that language is to be literate.

Religious literacy
means having the ability to understand and speak about our faith intelligently. It’s the ability to communicate the basic tenets of our religion.

I'm very grateful to B.U. Professor Stephen Prothero for his excellent book, "Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know and Doesn't." This book, along with my desire to teach the faith, served as the inspiration for this effort.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012


“I’m not an overly spiritual person,” she said, “but I’ll tell you what - it had to have been an angel!” My friend was trying to get her ailing husband out of their car and then up some stairs. He was very weak. She was trying to assist him and still carry the important papers needed for their appointment. Suddenly a large man was at their side. He got on the other side of her husband and helped him up the stairs and through the door. As her husband caught his breath inside the building, she stepped outside to thank the man and he was gone. She looked both ways and there was no where he could have disappeared to. That’s why she said it must have been an angel. I’ve never had such an experience but I’ve talked to others who have, and who am I to deny the possibility?

As you know angels are prominant in the Bible. The word itself, angelos, means messenger. Angels deliver God’s messages to people, such as to Joseph and Mary. In the Old Testament angels carry out the work of God. “An angel of the Lord went before them and delivered them.” And in the book of Revelation angels worship God with all the company of heaven. The idea of a Guardian Angel is found only once in the Bible. In Matthew 18:10 Jesus says, “Take care that you do not despise one of these little ones; for, I tell you, in heaven their angels continually see the face of my Father in heaven.” Angels are spiritual beings. We don’t become one once we die. They are distinct creatures. Apparently Satan was an angel who rebelled against God.

Well, that’s about all I know about angels. What do you think?

“All day, all night, angels watching over me, My Lord.”

Thought: Is it possible that there is a spiritual world all around us?
Question: Do you believe in angels?
Prayer: Dear God, help me live like one of your angels - carrying the message of your love, doing your work and worshipping you in the heavenly places. Amen.

P.S. According to artists through the years, many angels are apparently chubby.

Something else to look forward to in Heaven - no dieting.

No comments:

Post a Comment